DOCTYPE html> How to Prevent New York and New Jersey Railroad Crossing Accidents | Hofmann & Schweitzer
Hofmann & Schweitzer
Call For A Free Consultation
Click To Call For A Free Consultation

How to Prevent New York and New Jersey Railroad Crossing Accidents

Various federal agencies with an interest in ending railroad highway crossing accidents have developed a Highway-Rail Crossing Safety and Trespass Prevention Plan*. The plan includes various measures that the government and others can make immediately and for the long term to prevent accidents at highway rail crossings.

Some of the measures discussed in the plan include:

  • Using advanced engineering and new technology to warn motorists of approaching trains.
  • Expanding educational outreach about the potential dangers.
  • Increasing enforcement of existing rules.
  • Limit railroad highway crossings by closing unnecessary crossings.
  • Improving data collection to understand the potential dangers and causes of accidents.

While the government employs the measures described above and the other measures included in the plan, it is important for both railroads and motorists to take the steps needed to prevent catastrophic accidents. This includes railroad conductors being alert at crossings, railroad maintenance workers making sure that signals are working appropriately, and motorists approaching all railroad highway crossings with care.

If you have been hurt in a New York or New Jersey railroad accident, you may be entitled to damages. Contact a New York and New Jersey railroad attorney at Hofmann & Schweitzer for more information. We can be reached at 1-800-362-9329 or via our online contact form.

*Source: U.S. Department of Transportation, Secretary's Action Plan, Highway-Rail Crossing Safety and Trespass Prevention, May 2004. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Fighting To Protect What Matters Most

You are not the only one who suffers after a serious accident. Crushing medical bills and lost wages can be devastating to your family for years.

It doesn’t have to be that way.

Speak To An Attorney, Get Help.