If you've been hurt on the job, your biggest concern may be getting medical care and paying for that medical care.

The Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act allows injured workers to recover for their medical care costs, but like many laws, the terms can be confusing.

Below Are Answers to Questions You Might Have

If you've been hurt, you may be wondering:

  • What kind of medical care can I recover for? According to the Department of Labor, you may recover for reasonable and necessary medical, surgical, and hospital treatment, medical supplies, prescription medications, diagnostic tests, physical therapy, prostheses, hearing aids, attendant care, the cost of travel for your medical treatment and other things required by your work-related injury or illness.
  • How long do I have to make a claim for medical benefits? There is no time limit on making your medical claim, but it is typically better to make the request sooner rather than later so that any dispute about the medical care being related to your work injury is minimized and so that you can get the recovery you deserve more quickly.
  • Do I need to do anything before I get the medical care? If you need emergency care, you should get it without doing anything first. For other medical care, you should get prior authorization from your employer or his insurer.
  • Do I have to use a doctor my employer chooses or can I pick my own? You can pick your own.
  • What happens if my employer (or his insurance company) disagrees with me about the medical care I need? First, the Longshore District Director may try to resolve the agreement informally. If that fails, the matter may be referred to an Administrative Law Judge.

Do you still have questions? Please start a live chat with us today so that we can help you get the answers to your unique questions and help you protect your rights and recovery.

Paul T. Hofmann
Connect with me
Focused on personal injury, with an emphasis on maritime, railroad and construction worker tort claims.
Post A Comment