Can I Recover Damages if I Was Hurt on a Fire Escape While I Was Fleeing a Fire or Other Emergency

Can I get copies of OSHA reports after I was hurt in a construction accident?

Yes. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is a federal agency. Accordingly, you have the right to request and review OSHA reports unless a limited exception applies that would lawfully allow the agency to withhold the information.

How to Get the Information You Want

There a few ways to get relevant information from OSHA. Among your options are the following:

  • Go to OSHA’s Data and Statistics Page. On this page you can search for the information you want by the name of the establishment (workplace), date, activity number, or a number of other criteria.
  • Make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. You may be able to make a formal FOIA request that OSHA will be required to answer. This may be particularly useful if you can’t find the information you need on the website.
  • Talk to your lawyer and ask about the different ways to get the information you need. Your attorney can advise you about the best way to get the relevant information you need from OSHA and from other sources, if applicable.

OSHA may have relevant information for you, but it might not answer all of your questions. You may also benefit from looking for information from state and local agencies that might have investigated your accident and from a private investigation that might be conducted or overseen by your lawyer.

You have a right to know what happened to you. That information may not only satisfy your understandable curiosity but also help you protect your potential recovery. If you have questions about the process, contact our office. We can help you get the information you need and help you decide what to do with it.