Recovering Damages for Toxic Spill Injury on Dock

I was hurt by a toxic spill on a dock. Can I recover damages?

Yes. If you were working on a dock when a toxic spill occurred and you were injured in the accident, you can likely recover damages.

You may be able to recover damages pursuant to a federal or state law. Depending on your specific job, you may qualify for a recovery pursuant to the:

  • Federal Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act
  • State workers’ compensation law
  • Another common law or statutory law

While there are several potential laws that might apply to you, it can be confusing to understand which specific law might govern your recovery.

It Is Important That You Know the Right Law to Pursue a Fair Recovery

Your damages are significant and you may have a valid claim for a recovery. However, if you pursue a state workers’ compensation claim when it doesn’t apply to you, you may not recover anything. You may be stuck with the medical bills and with your typical bills during a time when you aren’t earning an income. Accordingly, it is important to know which law applies to you given the unique circumstances of your job and your injury.

You don’t have to untangle the maze of laws on your own, however. Instead, you have the right to work with an experienced maritime injury lawyer who can tell you which law best applies to your situation and what specific steps you should take to protect your legal recovery. If you would like more information about your possible recovery and about how to protect your rights, please start a live chat with us today.