The current developers of the South Fork Wind Project and Sunrise Wind Project have now submitted a joint proposal to develop New York’s Third Competitive Offshore Wind project. The submission includes multiple bids with different configurations related to the July 2022 solicitation to build the third project to provide a minimum of 2,000 MW of offshore wind, which would power at least 1.5 million additional New York homes.. New York State has the mandate to secure 70 percent of the State’s electricity from renewable energy by 2030 and at least 9,000 megawatts of offshore wind by 2035. Its not that far off, folks!
They reiterate that this project also offshore would be completed by an American union workforce, emphasizing the developers’ commitment to good-paying jobs, workforce training and safety.
An update on their progress on the South Fork Wind and Sunrise Wind projects is that they have:
- Broken ground on South Fork Wind, New York’s first offshore wind project
- Announced the largest single New York State offshore wind supply chain award of $86 million, bringing construction and steel manufacturing work to New York companies located in the Capital Region and Western New York
- Invested $300,000 to train Capital Region workers for union construction careers in clean energy
- Supported the development of New York’s National Offshore Wind Training Center (NOWTC) on Long Island with a $10 million investment
- Advanced the first offshore wind project in America to use high-voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission technology
- Committed $5 million in a research partnership with Stony Brook University
- Announced the creation of an O&M Hub in East Setauket and harbor facility in Port Jefferson to support future wind farm operations
- Invested in developing a New York offshore wind supply chain and engaging with MWBEs
At Hofmann & Schweitzer, we will continue to update you on the status of where and when these excellent construction and maritime job opportunities in the wind energy development field will occur. We will be there for the needs of labor if you or your loved one is injured, which can be disastrous to your family.