Our Construction Accident Attorneys Help Injured Undocumented Workers in New York or New Jersey

If you're an undocumented worker who has been hurt in a New Jersey or New York construction accident, you may be scared, confused, and unsure of your rights. You might worry that your immigration status prevents you from seeking compensation or medical care. However, it's crucial to understand that you have significant protections and rights - regardless of your immigration status. The skilled New York and New Jersey construction accident lawyers at Hofmann & Schweitzer can help you understand your options for recovering compensation. 

Injured Undocumented Workers’ Options for Recovering Compensation

The construction industry often relies heavily on immigrant labor, including many undocumented workers. These workers often take on some of the most dangerous jobs in construction, facing heightened risks of injury. It's important to know that New York labor laws protect all workers, regardless of immigration status.  

If you are an undocumented worker in New York, you may have the right to pursue compensation for workplace injuries through workers' compensation claims or personal injury lawsuits.

Workers' Compensation Claim

Under New York law, any worker injured on the job is eligible for workers' compensation benefits, regardless of immigration status. Workers' compensation typically covers:

  • Medical treatment for your work-related injury
  • A portion of your lost wages
  • Disability benefits if you're unable to return to work

Your employer may be required by law to carry workers' compensation insurance. 

Personal Injury Claims

Beyond workers' compensation, undocumented workers may also have the right to file personal injury lawsuits against responsible parties for construction accidents. A personal injury lawsuit may allow you to recover additional compensation not covered by workers' comp, such as:

  • Full lost wages (past and future)
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of quality of life
  • Additional medical expenses

What to Do if You Are Injured on the Job as an Undocumented Worker

If you're injured on a construction site and are an undocumented worker, you should take the following steps, which are the same regardless of your immigration status:

  • Seek medical attention immediately.
  • Report the injury to your supervisor or employer as soon as possible.
  • Document everything - take photos of the accident scene and your injuries.
  • Collect contact information from any witnesses who saw the accident.
  • Consult with an experienced construction accident attorney who has experience working with undocumented workers.

Protecting Your Legal Rights

It's crucial to understand that seeking compensation for a workplace injury is your legal right. Employers are prohibited from retaliating against workers who file workers' compensation claims or lawsuits, regardless of immigration status.

However, navigating the legal system as an undocumented worker can be challenging. Some employers or insurance companies may try to take advantage of your status to deny you rightful compensation. This is why it's essential to work with our experienced attorney, who understands the unique challenges undocumented workers face and can protect your rights. 

Read our case results and testimonials to learn how we have achieved successful settlements for our injured clients. Our client, Alex V., was seriously injured on a construction site. He comments, "I was a welder who got seriously injured on a construction site. As an alien in this country, I was afraid of contacting anyone about my accident. I wasn't familiar with my legal rights and one of my co-workers told me to talk to a lawyer at Hofmann & Schweitzer. They had Spanish speaking people at their office who helped me and kept me informed during the process. I was happy how the matter was resolved. I would recommend them to anyone who is seriously injured like I was. I had very serious injuries and the compensation they obtained for me will help me survive."

Paul T. Hofmann
Connect with me
Focused on personal injury, with an emphasis on maritime, railroad and construction worker tort claims.