It has to be done. There are certain elements of construction work such as tunneling, trenching, and laying underground pipes and wires that simply have to happen in order for existing construction to be repaired or new construction to be built in New York City. You may be one of the construction workers tasked with working below the streets of our city and, if you are, then you deserve to know the special risks that you face.
Understand the Risks Before You Go Underground
Some of the risks that you face while performing underground construction work in New York City are the same as the risks that you would face above ground. You could, for example, be hurt by a piece of construction equipment.
However, there are other risks that are either unique to underground work or more likely to occur underground. More specifically, you could be at increased risk of injury from:
- Being buried by roof or wall cave-ins – This risk simply doesn’t apply above ground.
- Fires or explosions – It is harder to escape a fire or explosion in the confined environment underground.
- Asphyxiation from exhaust or chemicals without proper oxygen or ventilation – It can be more difficult to properly ventilate underground space then above ground construction sites.
- Noise – Excessive noise from construction machinery can be hard to regulate and can lead to injury.
- Drowning – Sudden floods from broken pipes or natural water sources can be difficult to escape in the confined environment of underground construction work.
Before you head underground, please talk to your employer about these risks and about how your safety will be protected.
Get the Help You Deserve If You Are Injured
If you’ve been hurt while doing underground construction work in New York City then we encourage you to find out more about your legal right to a recovery by reading our FREE brochure, Hurt in a Construction Accident? You’re Not Alone. You can also call our experienced construction accident lawyers today at 1-800-362-9329. You deserve to make a fair and just recovery for the injuries you’ve suffered making our City a better place to live and work.