Dock Worker Before Suffering a Maritime InjuryMaritime work can take place at sea and on shore, and employees injured in maritime construction may be protected under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA). However, pursuing these claims can be a long and complex process, and dockbuilders who do not take steps immediately after an injury may be underpaid for their medical costs and income losses.

Steps to Take Immediately After a Maritime Injury

If your injury requires emergency care, the first thing you should do is to attend to your immediate medical needs. While you are waiting for an ambulance or for a coworker to drive you to the hospital, take photographs of the injury site with your cell phone—including any witnesses at the scene. This will help you recall the conditions that led to your injury, as well as the names of people present who can be called as witnesses.

After your injuries have been stabilized, it is vital that you:

  • Report your accident. Your employer must submit an incident report before you can collect benefits, and if you don’t fill it out, somebody else will. If you complete the report, you can record your version of events and ensure that the report is accurate. You should also request a copy of the accident report for your own records.
  • See a doctor. There are many good reasons to follow up with a doctor after a work injury. First, it creates a consistent medical record of your condition from the time of the injury to the present day. Second, it demonstrates that you are a conscientious employee who has done everything that a reasonable person would do after an accident. Third, it is the best way to protect your health and your recovery, since immediate intervention is the most effective treatment for a wide range of injuries.
  • Call the law firm of Hofmann & Schweitzer. If you have suffered from a maritime injury, we encourage you to find out more about your rights to see who may owe you compensation for your recovery. Our attorneys can examine the details of your case and begin working to build a strong injury claim.

Contact one of our New York and New Jersey maritime accident attorneys today via our online contact form, or call us at 1-800-3-MAY-DAY. For more information on your case, be sure to download your complimentary copy of Are You a Seaman Injured in a Maritime Accident? Know Your Rights.


Timothy F. Schweitzer
Connect with me
Personal injury lawyer specializing in maritime, construction and railroad injury claims.