Our maritime injury attorneys have spent over 40 years fighting for the rights of injured maritime employees nationwide, and are dedicated to helping U.S. Navy service members who were hurt in the 2017 collision with the ACX Crystal. If you or someone you know was aboard the USS Fitzgerald when the incident occurred, please call 1-800-3-MAY-DAY or complete our online contact form today.
Types of Damages Available in a Maritime Injury Lawsuit
After a tragedy at sea, federal maritime laws allow injured employees to file a lawsuit against the party whose negligence caused their suffering. In the case of the collision with the ACX Crystal, a pending USS Fitzgerald crew members’ lawsuit aims to hold NYK Line responsible for the unnecessary injuries and suffering caused by the shipping line’s failure to train a competent crew.
While every case is different, typical damages recovered in maritime injury cases include:
- Reimbursement for medical bills, including past doctor’s visits, physical therapy, and ongoing treatment to improve quality of life
- Disability costs for those whose conditions have reached maximum medical improvement but will never fully heal
- Lost wages suffered in the days and weeks following the collision
- Loss of future income for those who have been discharged from the Navy or will be leaving the service early
- Emotional injuries such as symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pain and suffering caused by the collision
- Punitive damages above and beyond the dollar amount of the victims’ losses to compensate the sailors for unseaworthiness or willful or outrageous conduct
If you are a service member who was aboard the USS Fitzgerald when it was struck, you may be owed a recovery from the shipping line. However, your right to compensation may be lost forever if you do not file your claim within three years from the date of the accident. Call 1-800-3-MAY-DAY or complete our online contact form today to set up your free case evaluation.